Friday, March 19, 2010

The first Blog of a new site By Chris Keys

Well we're trying again, the site would anyone in, so I  now I'll just have to do it all again.

Oh God, not blogging! By Chris Keys



Let me begin by apologizing to all of you, who like blogging and feel it serves some meaningful purpose in your life. I started writing because I want to craft stories that would spark the reader’s imagination and provide them with entertainment. I wanted to write stories and novels, that may not revival Hemingway, C.S. Lewis, Arthur C. Clark or some of the other literary greats, but they would at least provide an escape from the television, with it’s endless parade of rerun everything and constant, completely mind numbing, trove of commercials.


What I have found, that in order to get to the stage where someone can read my stories, I have to spend countless hours writing mundane and superficial paragraphs, dealing with basically gossip. Facebook, MySpace and many of the writing/writer sites, are choked with people who really aren’t writers just people who like to see their words on the screen, no matter how idiotic they maybe. Half the people on some sites haven’t participated in over a year. They are not writers! They have no passion!



Don’t people get enough of celebrity gossip on TV and in every other format there is? How many times can you rehash Brad and Jolie? Who really cares what type of shoe so and so bought, while drinking coffee with so and so, at what’s its place? I sure don’t! Do you want to know what I had for breakfast? Will that help my celebrity status?



Maybe it’s a guy thing! Maybe as a male of the species, I am predisposed to wanting to run and hide, every time the talking heads on TV start talking about the tragic results, of the relationship between some rich butt head so and so and some rich want to be blonde, who’s willing to do anything or say anything, to get the guy and the media’s attention.



Maybe it’s the allure watching the emotional train wreck of the Godless souls, who sold their souls, for five minutes in the spotlight and fist full of dollars that is never enough to support their life style dreams of sex, drugs and rock & roll! I have to admit, when I was twenty, that didn’t sound half bad. Then I grew up and found those who actually lived that way, didn’t really enjoy it. They weren’t very happy and just acted happy so that they could to keep the cash coming in.



Maybe it’s just an exercise in writing? That’s all this is for me. Craft a few well thought out sentences and post it, hoping someone will critique it, so I may judge how well I’m progressing in my writing skills. Notice I didn’t say typing! Nor did I mention punctuation. Damn punctuation! It’s the devil’s own spawn of mischief for me.



My publisher insists I practice blogging, for when my site, the one they are building for me, comes on line, I will have to blog daily, in order to properly market and stamp my brand upon the world. They say readers want to know all about the writer. It’s not enough to say he lives here and is happily married. They want to know deep inner thoughts and all of the salacious tid bits of their life. But some of us just aren’t that exciting.



I myself, you may have seen, like to quote other, more exciting and notable people, in the hopes that I might learn something from their insight and thus be more memorable myself. I figure, that’s much more interesting than listing my numerous crushed and broken bones. Or showing you a color coded map of the multiple scars I have earned, acting foolishly both on and the sporting fields. Of course I could regale the reader with my tales of bravery when I stopped a crime ring, single handedly and had to face down three men, my size, (over six foot, two hundred plus pounds) in hand to hand combat. Or when I was a youth, foolishly wandering about late at night, in the inner city of Detroit and had to escape an armed robber, bullets bouncing off the alley walls around me, as I ran for my life.



No, that’s all so last century, almost a life time ago. I’m almost embarrassed to bring it up. So I’ll keep struggling to write something interesting, something that a reader might want to know. But if you hear a low deep resonant moan coming from cyberspace, just know it’s not a ghost or some malevolent spirit, about to set siege unto your home. It’s just this old fart, trying to think of some clever thing to say, in some new and oh, so exciting way! I wonder how Mark Twain, would have viewed blogging? I can hear him now, insulting the gentry with yet another back handed compliment. My favorite Mark Twain quote is: “I did not attend the funeral, I send a letter saying I approved.” I feel the same way about blogging.—Chris Keys-Write what you know, write it with passion-set the world on fire with your deams!ChrisKeys2010@

No comments:

Post a Comment